Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Five Greatest TV Drinking Buddies

Don't call it a comeback...
I should start off by apologizing for disappearing for over a year.  It's sort of like that time your dad told you he was going out to get some groceries, didn't come back, and abandoned you and your mom so he could start a new life and family with his secretary.  Thirteen months later he realized his secretary was a bigger bitch than your mom and his new step-kid was more horrible than you, so he came crawling back asking for your forgiveness.  That's me.  I'm back, and I want your forgiveness.  Can I promise you that I won't abandon you again?  No, no I can't.  But I did bring this puppy and shiny new bike with me.

Why now?
"Mad Men" is returning for its fifth season and I really like TV.  Thanks to it being available on Netflix's streaming library, I was able to get caught up during the 17-month hiatus.  After the first season I knew "Mad Men" would join the ranks of my favorite TV shows.  Don and Roger had some great alcohol-induced moments in the first four seasons.  This got me thinking - what other TV tandems stack up with these two liquor loving lushes?

The criteria.
I wanted to come up with a top ten, but I had a tough enough time coming up with just five.  I also had to limit it to shows that I've watched.  I've seen my fair share of TV, but I couldn't bring myself to write about shows/characters that I didn't know much about ("MASH," "How I Met Your Mother," etc.).  Additionally, it had to be about two (or more) characters who we associate alcohol consumption with, not characters who got got drunk once (name a sitcom that didn't have at least one drunk episode), or a character who didn't really have a drinking buddy (ex. Archie Bunker).

It's good to be back.  Enjoy.
Drink Up

Cliff and Norm
Who: Cliff Clavin and Norm PetersonCheers (1982-1993)

What: Beer


Where: Cheers

When: Usually after work

Why: Because sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name. 


Classic moment:  To preface this, I do not consider myself a "Cheers" expert, whereas I like to think I'm well-versed in the other four shows mentioned in this post.  I always respected "Cheers," but didn't learn to appreciate it until recently.  Also worth noting, Cliff and Norm spent almost all of their on-screen time drinking together at Cheers so I had a tough time choosing one moment. Their interactions are always among the funniest parts of any episode.  I'm sure there are hundreds of other moments I could have chosen, but I saw this one recently, and it's also on YouTube:       



Moe, Homer and Barney


WhoHomer Simpson and Barney GumbleThe Simpsons (1989- )

What: Duff Beer

Where: Moe’s Tavern

Why: Barney is essentially Homer without the job, wife, and kids.  These childhood friends have been enjoying Duff beer at Moe’s Tavern since "The Simpsons" debuted back in 1989. Despite various attempts at sobriety, name changes to Moe’s, running competing plow businesses, etc., these two drinking buddies always manage to come together over a nice frosty Duff at Springfield's best dive bar.

Classic moment: One of my favorite Homer/Barney benders was in "Duffless," the 16th episode of the fourth season. Homer and Barney are leaving a tour of the Duff Brewery and Barney is about to get in the driver's seat. Homer, believing he's less drunk than Barney, unsuccessfully tries to knock Barney out (first with a punch, then with a crowbar and finally by repeatedly closing the car door on his head).  Barney relents and gives Homer the keys.  Without fail, Homer falls victim to a DUI sting.  As he passes the field sobriety test and is about to be sent on his way, Barney (now sitting in the driver's seat) suggests to the police that they give Homer a breathalyzer test. The police oblige, and Homer fails.



Bunk and McNulty
WhoBunk Moreland and Jimmy McNultyThe Wire (2002-2008)

What:  Jameson

Where:  Anywhere in Baltimore where they see fit.  On the job or after work.  Depends on the mood they’re in.

Why:  These two tortured souls love three things in life: po-lice work, women and whiskey.



Classic moment:  In a first season episode, McNulty approaches his partner, Bunk, about lying to a fellow detective so that he can proceed with a case of his own.  Bunk begrudgingly accepts.  When their shift ends, they head to a bar where McNulty picks up the tab as a repayment to for Bunk helping him out.  As McNulty is getting ready to leave, he realizes that Bunk is making eyes at a woman across the bar.  Bunk asks McNulty to call his wife and tell him that he picked up a case and he won’t be home for awhile.  McNulty looks skeptical, but has no other choice when Bunk drops, “I lied for you didn’t I?”  I could try to describe what happens next, but I wouldn't be doing it any justice, so just watch:  




  

The Gang: Dennis, Mac, Dee, Charlie, and Frank

Who: The Gang, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005- )

What: Alcohol.

When: Yes.

Why: Because it's funny.  

Where: Paddy’s Pub

Classic Moment:  The evolution of Frank Reynolds has been one of the greatest aspects of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."  By time we get to the fifth season,  Frank is nothing like the relatively mild-mannered Frank we met in the beginning of season 2.  He is now a walking shit show.  In "The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention," there's no doubt in my mind that Danny DeVito is genuinely drunk in the opening scenes, and perhaps throughout the entire episode.  After showing up wasted and propositioning his dead ex-wife's sister for sex at her husband's funeral, the gang decides it's time they stage an intervention.  The episode ends back at Paddy's with a failed attempt at an intervention, and the entire gang drinking wine from diet soda cans.  I couldn't find a clip from the end of the episode, but here's a clip from earlier in the episode of DeVito as Frank looking like he's trying to reprise his role of the Penguin from "Batman Returns."



Roger and Don
WhoDon Draper and Roger SterlingMad Men (2007- )

What: Old Fashioned (Don), Martini (Roger)

Where: The office, restaurants, nightclubs, home, in the car, etc.

Why:  These guys had it made.  Life was theirs for the taking, and they took it. I spend my lunches eating Subway hoagies in the break room in our office.  These guys spent their lunches sipping on whiskey and gin and eating at the finest restaurants in Manhattan.


Classic moment:  When Don finds out that Roger hit on his wife, he devises a clever payback.  Ahead of an important meeting with Richard Nixon's campaign staff, Don takes Roger out for lunch and drinks.  Before they exit the building, we see Don whisper something to the elevator operator.  They spend lunch eating oysters and tossing back cocktails.  When they return, we realize that Don told the elevator operator to lie about the elevator being out of service.  Their hike to the 23rd floor begins.  Don uses this opportunity to embarrass Roger.  By time they reach the 8th floor we see Don lighting up a cigarette, while Roger is already feeling the effects of the walk.  Don, the younger and more fit of the two, is visibly winded as he makes it the 23rd floor office, but pulls himself together rather quickly and is introduced to the clients.  Moments later, Roger comes stumbling in like an extra from the set of "The Walking Dead" and is greeted by Don, Burt Cooper, Pete Campbell and Nixon's campaign staff.  Before getting a word out, Roger hunches over and vomits in the middle of the office for all to see.  Point Draper.    

I couldn't embed it, but the scene can be found here.

--

So there you have it.  If you think I missed any drinking buddies or could have picked better moments for any of the characters, let me know.  I'm definitely be interested to hear other opinions.

Look for the next edition of Epic Blogas in April of 2013.


2 comments:

  1. I may have considered Kirk Cameron from Growing Pains, although he may only drink the blood of christ these days.
    TJ

    ReplyDelete